Class Notes for Monday 3/25/19, Wednesday 3/27/19
- Midterm Practical
- Semester Project Kickoff
Download the Class Presentation PDF
Dark Woods Cut and Cut
Content for this project from the 2017 Travel & Leisure article “World's Most Haunted Forests” https://www.travelandleisure.com/slideshows/worlds-most-haunted-forests
The steps in starting a project should be:
Keep in mind: Demographics (target audience) and Business identity and perception. Search out and critique other designs and trends.
Create a Mood Board
A board board is a group of images, textures, patterns, colors, and fonts, combined on one page to convey a mood, feeling and/or style. This will serve as your main inspiration for the rest of the project.
- Narrow down your images from the Inspiration phase and put them on a mood board - those you feel are best for the project.
- The mood board should include 3 - 5 images that show how others approached their designs
- 2 - 3 examples of potential font choices (at least showing classifications of typography to approach)
- Potential base colors and their color harmonies
Work on multiple concepts BEFORE deciding on "the one." Remember, in the business world you may need to show multiple concepts. Or at the very least back up your design decisions and workign through them ahead fo time will help set your decision path. Make sure you have all the elements necessary for a successful project (Functionality).
Your sketches should show:
- Grid Structure (for Alignment, Proximity, and Balance)
- Hierarchy of Elements (this will show proper Emphasis and Contrast)
- Unity of the piece (achieved through Repetition - and, of course, any over-repetition should be met with Variety).
Sketch analysis, critique, and REVISION.
Only when you are proud of your sketches will you move to the next phase. Throughout any part of the design process, take breaks when needed. Walk away and come back with a fresh look.
Develop your final design(s).
Don't forget, not everything in your layout has to be made on a computer. Take photos, scan original Illustrations
Analyze, Critique and Revise.
As many time as necessary to make it worthy of your portfolio.
Your site must be uploaded and avaiable via a live URL and be free of any presentation (image, link, browser, etc.) issues.